Excerpt: Wine Gift Baskets are a great gift. They are versatile and can be personalized in many ways. Let’s find out more!
Let’s be honest, it’s not always easy to find the right gift for someone you care about. If on top of it you have little time to spare it could even be overwhelming sometimes. Don’t worry though, the good news is that I managed to find the perfect solution for it and I’ll happily share it with you: Wine Gift Baskets.
There are many reasons why I love Wine Gifts Baskets, and the most important are that they are very versatile to be gifted to parents, friends, colleagues, and neighbors and at the same time you can personalize them to match their tastes and preferences.
I’ve put together the below short guide full of practical tips to help you easily create or choose the perfect wine gift basket. Let’s begin!
What Makes A Wine Gift Basket Memorable?
Let’s take a close look at the key components that constitute the perfect wine gift basket. Just don’t forget that one of the great features of a wine gift basket is its versatility, so as you create or choose the perfect gift, have fun with it and put your own touch and taste to make it unique.
1. Pick The Right Basket
You don’t need to overcomplicate this, but a good start is to consider what’s the occasion: is it formal or informal? Is it for your mom, dad, friend or loved one? Do you need to make an impression or it’s a way to thank someone?
The next step is to make sure that whatever you put in the basket is well presented and most importantly protected. Don’t forget it’ll contain a bottle of wine… so a good practice is to put some form of cushion at the bottom of the basket, such as paper or cloth for example.
2. Tips to Choose The Right Wine
Being a wine gift basket, the wine plays a central role in it. No pressure uh?! Don’t worry it’s actually easier than you think. In case you don’t know the preferred wine by your recipient or are new to the world of wine, just follow the below tips.
The 4 Types of Wine
Broadly speaking there are 4 types of wine: red, white, rosé, and sparkling wine. The general rule is that white and rosé are for hot weather as they are more refreshing. Red wines on the other hand are generally consumed during autumn and winter. As per sparkling wine, they are extremely versatile, every day is a good day for bubbles!
As always there are exceptions, Pinot Noir is one of these. Pinot Noir is a red wine but it is usually light-bodied, i.e. it’s quite pleasant even during summertime. Let’s take a look at six viable choices for your wine selection across white, red, and sparkling wines.
Red Wines Ideas
- Pinot Noir: if you are after an entry-level red wine, easy to drink thanks to its light body, freshness with red berry and strawberry notes, that’s your wine. It’s not a coincidence that Pinot Noir is very popular amongst red wines.
- Merlot: think of Merlot as a very versatile wine, soft, with light or medium body, and raspberry or black cherry notes. That’s why it’s usually blended with other grapes like Cabernet Sauvignon, for example, to soften the taste profile.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: how about a bold wine, medium to full body with intense black fruit flavors like blackcurrant and black raspberry for example? If you like the sound of it, you can’t go wrong. Note though that Cabernet Sauvignon is not for everyone, so it might be a risky choice for a beginner.
White Wines Ideas
- Pinot Grigio: if you need something highly refreshing, light, easy to drink with lemon and apple notes, then go for it. Pinot Grigio is the perfect entry-level white wine.
- Sauvignon Blanc: refreshing and light like Pinot Grigio but more fruity with white peach and tropical fruit notes. Sauvignon Blanc is another perfect-entry level white wine.
Sparkling Wine Idea
- Champagne: do you want to make an impression, well a bottle of Champagne is an easy bet. Champagne is the most famous sparkling wine in the world, loved for its freshness, lighted body, minerality, and of course bubbles.
3. Add Delicious Treats
That’s a reason why it’s called wine pairing, it’s because it goes well with food. The next step is to identify all those edible items that go well with wine and that will make your wine gift basket look great.
Don’t worry there are a lot of options here from where you can choose: cheese, nuts, crackers, olives, and salty popcorn for example. In case you wonder, it doesn’t have to be only salty food. Chocolate works very well with wine too. A general rule is to match dark chocolate with bold wine like Cabernet Sauvignon and milk chocolate with Pinot Noir and Merlot. So again mix and match based on your taste.
4. Select Useful Wine Accessories
Think about this, you get a very nice wine gift basket and you can’t wait to open the bottle but you suddenly realize you don't have a wine opener or the right glasses to taste your favorite wine at its best. That would be a pity, wouldn’t it? That’s why adding wine accessories it’s a great idea and you will be certain your recipient will appreciate it.
As always you have plenty of options, from wine opener, glasses specific to the wine types, wine stoppers, wine journal, and wine aerators. Again, my advice would be to keep it simple, I’d focus on one or two items here.
5. The Wow Factor
This is optional really, and it very much depends on the occasion. I usually consider this only if the person is very special and deserves a big thank you. The idea is to add an extra item that you know will make your wine gift basket outstanding. It can be cigars or whisky, there’s no right and wrong here really in terms of what you can pick. It’s a very personal choice.
6. Final Touches
It goes without saying, make sure your wine gift basket is well presented and all your items are carefully protected so that your wonderful present is not ruined.
7. Perfect Wine Gift Basket Examples
If you are not a fan of DIY or you simply don’t have time, don’t worry, there’s plenty of great options available to you and at various price points.
You can pick a premade wine gift basket or customize your own. Here are some great examples:
- Customize Your Own Gift Basket
- California Wine and Coffee Gift Basket
- California Wine Corporate Crate
- The Champagne Campaign – Champagne Gift Basket
- The California Wine Executive
Wine Gift Baskets are a great way to greet someone, say thank you, or make an impression. What’s not to love about them? You’ll find all the treats you like and on top of it, it gives you the possibility to personalize them with your own taste and touch. For me, they have always been a success.
I hope you have found the above tips useful so that you can pick your next beautiful wine gift basket. Enjoy!
Chiara Gomiero is the founder and writer at Handy Wine Guide.com.
Her mission? Simple, make the world of wine more accessible to you and by doing so enhancing your experience.
Whether you're looking for wine pairing ideas, serving tips, and fun facts about wines, or just want to learn more about the amazing world of wine, be sure to check out some of her articles!